If you must gossip….Gossip the Gospel of Jesus Christ
Social Media has and can be a wonderful positive avenue to promote those things that are worthy causes, however, in the last few years the world has been made aware that such social media sites as Facebook, MySpace and others that urge their subscribes to post their lives within their own “profiles” can sometimes be dangerous in more ways than just one. Some of the cautionary reminders is to not post your business or your “too-private” affairs on places that are open to the public view.
Then of course, there are some people who use their sites to do nothing more than gossip about other people or promote hate agendas. With the technology that is current today, social media sites have the ability to track everywhere you go, not only within the site itself, but they also work in unison with Google analytics and other tracking technologies. Of course, they say that it is only so that they can provide you with the type of ads that you would be most interested in etc.
So….instead of risking your privacy by posting your intimate thoughts….try this instead! If you must gossip…then Gossip the GOSPEL of Jesus Christ.
The following Scripture verses will help to define what gossip is and how to stay away from it entirely:
- Leviticus 19:16 (NIV) “Do not go about spreading slander among your people. Do not do anything that endangers your neighbor’s life. I am the Lord.”
- Exodus 23:1 (NIV) “Do not spread false reports. Do not help a wicked man by being a malicious witness.”
- Proverbs 18:8 (NIV) The words of a gossip are like choice morsels; they go down to a man’s inmost parts.
- Matthew 15:19 (NIV) “For out of the heart come evil thoughts… false testimony, slander. These are what make a man ‘unclean’….”
- Proverbs 18:8 (NAS) The words of a talebearer are like tasty trifles….
- 1 Peter 2:1 (NIV) Therefore, rid yourselves of all malice and all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander of every kind.
- Ephesians 4:31 (NIV) Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander…
Gossip in the real sense of the word is not just talking about people because the Apostles “talked” about Jesus Christ and for that matter they were instructed to spread the news about Him and His resurrection all over the world. Gossip occurs when you add in the slander or LIES about a person.
SO GO AHEAD….GOSSIP THE GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST!