Pentecost Sunday – an empowerment for today’s Christian
Pentecost Sunday 2012 will be on May 27th this year. Biblical tradition cites that this feast is called by the Jews, Shauvott. The feast of Pentecost is a Greek word indicating that there are 50 days from the time of the Feast of Weeks and Pentecost. Pentecost is associated with the birth of the Church of the Lord Jesus Christ, as the disciples of the Lord Jesus began to speak with other tongues. This enduement of power from on high upon the Lord’s disciples is that which allowed those from other countries the ability to understand what was happening.
This powerful event is what empowered the disciples to be full of zeal and exude this new power from on high, giving them a boldness to confront those that opposed their faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. The Holy Spirit came in with a huge sound of wind that filled the place where they were and the disciples of the Lord also manifested tongues of fire that were leaping upon their heads.
This year there is a global initiative being conducted whose goal is to teach and preach about the Holy Spirit so that everyone will be educated on this topic by the year 2033. This initiative is called Empowered21. Strange as it may be, few Pentecostal churches celebrate the day of Pentecost.
Empowered21 is seeking to change the fact that only the mainline churches celebrate Pentecost by reaching out globally to the Pentecostal denomination. Some of the following are their objectives that they are hoping to fully achieve by the year 2033.
- To Unite the Global Spirit-filled movement together intergenerationally for the purpose of seeking a fresh outpouring of the Holy Spirit in the 21st Century
- To Focus the energy and resources of the Spirit-empowered global church on the harvest and challenges before us
- To Provide a platform for addressing the crucial issues facing the 21st Century Spirit-empowered church
- To Discover contemporary methods, vocabulary, spiritual grace and relational favor needed for engaging every generation in Spirit-empowered living
- To Witness greater convergence and collaboration of Spirit-empowered ministries around the World
If you are a pastor, hopefully you will be planning your worship services around the celebration of Pentecost. If you are not already involved with Empowered21, this would be a good time to check out the events that they are planning.